Sunday, April 01, 2007

Innocence of Mornings

Morning times are pretty innocent, as if the previous day’s sins are washed off in the sleep and you wake up a fresh and new man. And fairly hopeful that the new day is a different one!

I have never been a morning person myself. I am completely nocturnal. I have slept late always. Maybe it came as a practice because I belong to a small little dusty town that never slept. Or because, we all lived in a small house that had one place for living, dinning and sleeping and with 10 of us to complete these chores and settle down it was always late.

I continued to live that way till now. I had a sense of power to be awake when the whole world slept. As if I was ruling the world then and could do what I wanted. And that great silence that accompanies a night, with even the birds back in their nest. So never missed the mornings.

But I live in a place that warrants early mornings. Right on the seashore, to look at the sun coming up, different birds hunting their breakfast and the catamarans coming back after the catch! Never been tempted to capture these charms as opposed to my late nights and books.

Today happened to be an exception. Now let me tell you, the biggest motivation to enjoy these mornings, come with a conditional clause. That should be a holiday. A typical working day is a deterrent. So what if the birds, boats and brightness are there. It is anyway going to be followed by shaving, pressing and rushing.

But a Sunday gives a different perception. And I am seeing new things. Firstly, irrespective of whether its day or night, you can still rule the world. Secondly, there is nothing to ruminate about what happened during the day and how it could be different. If at all there is something, it is about how well the day can be spent, which is future. Any dream of the future is better than an autopsy of the day goneby. The wine of yesterday is already a gone thing and we are not going to discuss it anymore. (And the filter coffee of the morning is anytime better than the wine) The huge gap of the night, sheds the ‘not so happy’ events of the previous day and you can vow to be make this day better. A sleepy chinky eyed daughters are always more beautiful than the tired chinky eyed daughters. The typeset of ‘The Hindu’ and the crispness of the newsprint.

I read somewhere in Tamizh a term called as ‘Suriya Dhairiyam’, which means ‘Courage because of the Sun’. Fairly accurate! Even when you are down with a flu tossing and turning in a bed during the night, you start sleeping peacefully at the first sight of the sneaky sunlight into your bedroom. As if the sun has come up and it is going to keep death away.

So, the mornings have it in for them. I am going to be a huge morning fan from now on, every Sunday…
.

No comments: