Monday, April 02, 2007

As my Guitar gently weeps

Ok, don’t get carried away by the title. It may sound poetic. But I am not a drug induced Eric Clapton. Nor I am trying to capture a romantic moment or a lost love.

This is just a fact that, my guitar should be weeping. Gently because I don’t hear it! The guitar is fair to weep. It has reasons.Atleast two good reasons!

One is that, its neck is broken. Almost for a year now! Don’t know whether it was murder or suicide. Could be anything. My wife used to tease me that I chased all the fish away playing near the ocean and the hamlet is complaining.Either one of the forced listeners broke its neck because I am strong and they can’t break mine. Or the guitar hung itself and broke its neck, because I have abused it.

That brings the second reason. I bought it one night as if next day I am going to be Jimmi Hendrix or Santana. Would never bother to take the car out after reaching home for any reason. But, on that day literally called all music shops from the yellow pages, found one that was open till 10 pm, rushed by driving some 15 km and bought it paying some decent amount.

And that was it. Went for a few classes, graduated to a couple of lessons, told myself that I am afterall a natural guitarist and I can play very well very soon. Showed off with girl friends and family about the thickening of the skin in the fingers due to strumming. And that was it. Never touched it. It was a fantastic showcase item after that.I am certain that the guitar would have felt like committing suicide.

I can repair this one, or can afford to buy a new one, get a little more disciplined and learn though my new fancy is to make name as a drummer like Sivamani.I can do anything. But nothing is going to take the rankling in my mind of the fact that I never allowed my nephew to touch that piece despite the fact he was a self-taught good guitarist who loved music, but only I had the money to afford to buy one. I acted like a wimp and now I realize it.

Actually I should cry for that. Or if the guitar weeps now, it would be mostly because I was such a mean guy. But I hope I can make amends by buying a new one for him and surprise him. Maybe then I would make a good guitarist.

3 comments:

Naresh said...

Hey - I just happened to stumble upon your blog.

Unwind Center is gering up for a fasttrack course on Guitars if you are keen.

I know guys who have started bands in 6 months - started playing songs after four classes.
www.unwindcenter.com

My name is Naresh and my email is nareshasher@gmail.com

Naresh said...

Hey - I just read some of your blogs and its funny - in a good way. I am laughing - I forgot to add this in my comment

Shrikanth said...

Hi Hey, thanks for dropping by.And also thanks for the compliments.

Would really love to learn and that too fast track. :)