Sunday, April 01, 2007

Joy of Giving

There is a great joy in giving,which none but the one who gives know.I remember the old days when my brother would come back from his work, buying a thing or two, ofcourse for all of us and the excitement we had about that. My father was one. He always had to give. He lived his life giving, be it anything, but most of all, plenty of love.

I can recall Amul creating a campaign in the early 80's , positioning their chocolates as a 'Gift to someone you love'. And Titan later adopted it. Someone had to remind the country about giving.

I am writing this now suddenly, because after a very long time, last week our family was flooded with gifts. One was a a very new and special friend who seemed to have perfected that art. She, I suspect has it running in her blood as much it does in me and my wife's. And almost a compulsive gifter.Everytime she walks in, the kids have something from her. And I am certain that she derives her happiness in looking into the eyes of the kids when they open the packs. I know that, because for me it
is like that.

We have another cousin of my wife, who simply doesn't tire buying stuff for my kids and me and my wife are already drawing up a list of what all we could buy when he gets a baby.And I again suspect that he and his wife has only our kids running in their minds all the time they are out shopping.

And I am married to an obsessive compulsive gifter. Will tirelessly go around buying something for someone always. And me, dont ask, I just dont even know what I buy for whom. Sometimes getting carried away a bit too. It is just not about things. It is about many other stuff. Giving could be even a thought , call or a smile. Something that matters to the one who receives it and who can value it. It is not always money.

My mom as I have mentioned plenty of times before always told love is one thing that gets multiplied when divided, as we were so many kids at home and she had enough and more love for each of us. Now when I realise that all of us just have one or two kids, I keep thinking how much of an opportunity we are missing these days.Last year that way was very kind to me, I had enough money to buy whatever I wanted to whomever I thought of.

The biggest treasure I have and carry always in my bag is a letter from a foster home thanking me because once, just once I sponsored the kids to a amusement park. Compared to the guys who run that and shower care & love , what I did was so less but it is so gratifying when you understand that there were kids who were happy.

We have shamelessly adopted so many western cultures, some of them not even good, why havent we jumped and gathered the concept of gifting from them I fail to understand. And my all time favorite story 'Gift of the Magi' is a perfect example of what 'Joy of Giving' is.

Come let us all give. There could not be a better way to live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~
Kahlil Gibran