Sunday, April 01, 2007

Plants, Stones & What not ? Ssshh, they are Gods

Erich Von Donken in his books has very funny explanations about God and how they would have come into being. Starting from they being a super intelligent alien race that had the technology to visit earth and went back. And comes up with some interesting substantiations like why we pray looking up at the sky. Maybe then Kalpana Chawla & Sunita Williams would be Goddess Sakthi in the future for some evolving organisms in the space. (Despite my cynicism on this subject, I can’t accept a firang God)

I have also read almost enough Puranas and Stories that glorify God. I have never felt an immediate need to go to temples anytime or for that matter even pray for something. God actually is my next-door neighbor, as much as I live in the seashore and don’t go the beach, I ignore my neighbor also. And I am not an atheist. I respect God and in fact I think and thank Him for every meal I get.

But a rational science student in me is unable to accept the forms of worships. This morning, while I am sitting at the terrace, I am watching my maid do an elaborate ritual and prayer for this plant called Thulasi. Simply incomprehensible for me! There are exactly 12 other plants in the same terrace and some of them are so very beautiful too with vibrant colors and flowers. I don’t know what sin they have committed in being omitted like this on the prayer. Why could not they be included?

And living near a fishing hamlet in the shores of Mahabalipuram, an erstwhile Pallava seat for sculpturing, I get to see funny stuff. They built these huge shore temples that were washed away by the sea centuries back. And these temples did have a lot of figurines and they take their own sweet time to get washed back to the shore. And immediately attain God status!! Afterall the sea has given it!! Bloody hell, if the sea takes it, it might as well give it back. These villagers immediately erect a small shack in a porampoke land and that surely grows into a nice little temple providing a stealthy livelihood for the trustees.( what an ironical choice of a word ) These trustees literally declare a fiefdom of around 5 km in the beachfront claiming that to be God’s land, as if He came with a stamp paper from the sea , maybe issued by the blue whale.

And these so called trustees collect a share from everyone who wants to construct there and nicely build themselves a palace leaving the God to languish. The fights that I see everytime on distributing the stolen dole make me sick!! If only these stones were really Gods they will go back to the bluewhale and surrender the patta. Some craziness this is. There was also some quick buck made when suddenly they declared that my next-door Goddess was shedding blood in Her eyes. Maybe trustee was short of dough.

Why can’t people see the God in themselves? Like it comes in the beautiful song

“ Aathikam pesum adiyarkellam, sivame anbahum
Naathikam pesum periyorkellam anbe sivamahum”

We will learn this one day, but there were 4 temples washed away into the sea and that should count to some hundreds of figurines and thus so many Gods to go yet.
.

No comments: