Saturday, April 07, 2007

Vanity of Blogging & Sour Grapes?

Lately, I have started fancying the thought of taking writing a bit more seriously than what I had in the past. That is because; suddenly I have started believing that I write well, a few faithful’s endorse it and people who love me even fan that fire greatly. I should confess that, keeping myself in the circle of blogs; I tend to get that extravagance myself, of being a good writer.

If I remember right, it was Updike who once said that ‘ Writing is nothing but speaking to oneself, and if we are lucky, through our writing we can speak with like-minded people’. Have never heard a statement truer than this. Leaving complete fiction & published works, in blogs surely this is a major consideration.

Which is what gives that vanity. You are read by probably a few and then if they happen to be like-minded they understand what you write and comment on it and then you want to write more. Thus starts the vicious circle. If you can keep your head to the ground maybe you can differentiate love, respect and genuine adoration you can stay there, otherwise quickly soar up to touch the skies and fall with a thud. Did I say thud, well I don’t know whether a million pieces will make that sound. But, I am darned sure that the fall will be gruesome. But the nice people around won’t allow that. They have their methods of giving you feedbacks and if you are smart enough, you can pick the cue and slow down the journey up, towards bungee jumping.

That’s for the real friends ( who blog themselves & don't ), but it is the other bloggers that worry me too much. There is so much of good reading in the books & magazines and I was pretty contented with that. Having started to blog I started reading other blogs. I was pretty impressed about the quality of some of them. Few of them, I wanted to call up and say ‘Hey what you doing here, you should be in journalism?’. But it is just a few of them. Rest is a one huge junk load.

Even the ones who somehow contrive to get recognition and get know in the circles. They get away with cataloguing & chronicling most times. Some of them report, don’t write. Some of them even write about their laptops, with no story in that. Might as well have published the Instructor's Manual of Toshiba. Anyone who has filled ‘About Me’ in the blog page with too much of seriousness warrants an attention. You better take them to a shrink. Or like lawyers being ‘Ambulance Chasers’ the shrinks could become ‘Blog Chasers’. That’s a market with huge potential.

These are the guys I am worried about. They enhance my vanity to an unbelievable extent. Leaving aside the faithful’s, these bloggers might make me seriously think that I am a good writer and become vain. I just need to be cautious only about keeping sanity in such situation. Keep probably counting from 1 to 1000 and say; you are not yet there and if you really want to be there, it is not the way these guys are.

But for now, my bigger worry is something else. I hope guys at Google really don’t read blogs. If they do and suddenly realize most of them are junk, they might as well pull the plug and I am dead. All my pretensions of being a writer will then be in thin air. Or maybe I can claim, all my best works were sabotaged.

1 comment:

sidwho? said...

Not as reportee with ulterior motives,but as a person who likes to take pride in his good taste and will not sacrifice it anything or anybody, I can assure you that you have nothing to fear ( of your vanishing from the blogosphere). And Google really stoops to distasteful extent, they probably dont deserve your attentions in any case!!