Sunday, April 01, 2007

Un-Fairever

Me being the cynic I am, have many things that turn me sick in the stomach. I have strong views about almost everything and I don't hide them either.

The one that irritates the most though is the advertisements for fairness creams. Sick to the extent that I always had wanted to file Public Interest Litigation against these companies and I pray that I should never get into situation of promoting these products in my career.

I am someone who swears by black, almost to the point of even being certified as a reverse racist. As much as people unfairly look down upon people who are dark and I used to look at firangs like that. A point of view that I am changing now; P

Coming back to the subject, I felt so strong about these advts because somehow they contrive to sell the concept of being fair is being successful. Which is an affront to the whole human race I would say. What is wrong if someone is dark? Aren’t they equally good as the ones in whatever they do? Firstly where is the f***ing need to even talk about one’s complexion?

How can a country that prides itself as tolerant society even allow such products to be sold? Haven’t we heard enough about slavery in the US and ill treatment meted out to the African Americans? Wonder whether they are promoting such fairness creams there? And what would a company like Levers do there and Africa? Would they equate fairness and success there also?

I can go on ranting and raving about this grave insult to people who are dark. But, for once I am thinking of really doing something as a campaign to stop this charade.

1 comment:

sidwho? said...

Not just me , but the eaxact sentiments of my entire family!
And parents of dark girls are still forced to pay higher dowry, I am told! Strangely , we, a race of dark skinned people, fawn over fair skin slavishly and in the most embarassing manner! Why such hostility towards Dark skin when we have contented ourselves living in such Dark Times??