Monday, April 02, 2007

Matrimonial Advertisements

Matrimonial advertisements have never ceased to amaze and humor me. I find the whole idea of advertising to discover your life partner very amusing. It could be a premature statement being a father of two daughters, but I have so much hope on my kids that they would not make their dad suffer this ignominy. In fact I find the whole idea of struggling to find someone to marry itself as a comedy. But that’s another story.

Anyway, some people can find no other way but to advertise and find their partners. Let them do it. But, I am fairly annoyed to pay extra dough on a Sunday paper that carries their aspirations, when I don’t even approve of the idea on the first place.

The irritation is because of the kind of advt’s I see. You can ask me why I read them. I don’t have an answer for that. Or maybe I am very keen to know how many of my countrymen are stupid enough to embark on this journey of match finding.

Look at the advt’s, just look at them. There is one guy who wants a ‘Most Beautiful, employed, educated Brahmin girl below 40’. This bugger doesn’t care to tell us whether he is educated, employed or even remotely good looking. But I am sure he would have had plenty of responses. People are that desperate.

People want girls with wheatish complexion!! What for? Or they going to marry or make roti’s? Another advt reads like this ‘CSI AFF 28 182 vf hsome SWE UK Assi 80K seek vf tall slim prof BP’. What the hell do you make out of this? Why on earth you can’t spend a couple of thousand rupees more and tell clearly about what you seek? Afterall it looks like you seem to be in UK and earn some decent money. And he wants a slim girl. What is he going to do if she becomes fat after marriage? I am not saying that people should not care about looks and stuff, but for God’s sake don’t advertise it.

There is another ‘Majestic Teetotaler Broadminded’ guy who seeks a girl. And who says that? They themselves. Majestic. I thought they used this adjective to describe kings or lions in the jungle.

Some seek people with family values. I don’t know what that means either. They should surely come from a respectable family. As if disrespectable families would immediately shy away from responding to this boy.

Some are fairly specific, they ask for spinster. Maybe they got a bad experience earlier getting responses from already married girls. Are divorcee’s not spinsters? Or is my English kinda screwed up?

Not a single guy dares to put his photograph. That will be the greatest deterrent then. Anyhow, I don’t think this madness will stop anytime and till that time I will have my share of humor and anger.

1 comment:

sidwho? said...

I am sure you have heard this one-
" A bachelor wants to get married and advertises -" WIFE WANTED"...he recieves thousands of response , all say -" You can have mine!!!"