Monday, April 23, 2007

Shopping ! Me for a Home :(

It is a real miracle that my marriage is intact and I haven’t been thrown out of house yet. No, no, not for some reason which people would think. Though I may qualify for that too. The major reason however would be my aversion to shopping.

My wife is a very discerning shopper. Even before she embarks on the mission, she is pretty clear about what she wants and how much she will pay for that. She would have done a good research and analyzed the pros and cons of buying a certain thing. And also she is fairly single-minded about the task.

And I am just the opposite. I would maybe start shopping wanting something. The first one I like in that genre I pick up and bill. And then get desultory and buy all the stuff that I do not want or did not want on the first place. My theory is that, the moment I look at choices I get confused and that make decisions difficult. Invariably I end up buying all of what I see. And then they sleep in my cupboard.

And worse is that I don’t know the value of what I buy. What is paramount in my mind is whether I want to buy it, irrespective of what it would cost. Or irrespective of whether I already have countless number of the same stuff already with me.

And so, when I go shopping with my wife, I get very bored and tired. She doesn’t stop till she finds what she wants. And worse is that she would be willing to forego the purchase even. And that means walking up and down many floors of the shop or walking to different shops. And by that time, the knowledge bank also swells much bigger than what it was while we started shopping. So, the second, third shops become even more difficult. And invariably we end up going to the first shop and buy the first one we saw.

I never understand this psychology. Would want to know whether any man, any man at all would shop like how women do. If you want something and you see that, you should buy. Where is the ambiguity? But worse is the remorse after buying. There is always this perennial doubt about whether we paid more, could we have searched more and so on. I keep pushing people to buy branded stuff that can avoid this doubt creeping later, but there also colors, textures, styles, and many such blah blah as a time killer. And I hate those shop assistants who treat you like dirt or an alien with no knowledge whatsoever about things or as a killjoy who would simply turn away a potential customer. Some hope they have!!

Appears to me, neither my haste which converts Salwars to Nightie’s because I jump and buy, nor the elaborate ritual of picking and choosing stuff is right.Now their side is getting stronger at home what with my daughter being a chip of the old block and that block being her mother.

So, it has come to that I simply don’t go shopping. If I can’t be of help, I can atleast be of no hindrance. And she prefers it too. Between a respectable English speaking chauffeur who can haggle a bit in the shops and the pain that comes along with a sullen face adding to nervousness every second of a great shopping experience, the chauffeur loses. She goes without me.

1 comment:

supersubra said...

This year I was left alone with my daughter on shopping for her birthday and after counting countless steps of different shops she settled on one particular dress in a shop. Before billing it she saw a Mannequin in the shop wearing another shade of the same dress and at last she got it stripped and packed to my great relief.

Girls can differentiate different colors like blue / bluee /blueee.