Friday, March 16, 2007

Taxing Really

Come March, I have this peculiar problem. It is the taxes. Not what I have to pay. That’s all beyond redemption now. My issue is that the Tax guy at office shares my name. And the initials!!

I get mails after mails, giving some detail or other. And I am in a predicament always, whether to dutifully forward it or trash it. One part of the mind says, poor souls should be helped, as a few thousand bucks would mean a lot to them. But then, I can’t be coordinating on taxes for a 2000 strong company.

I usually junk them, because there is a separate mail ID for the tax guy, which is not his name. If someone is going to take extra care in finding out the wrong name and mail details, then they should be taxed.

Now it has gone one step further. They somehow get my mobile number and start discussing their tax problems. Well, I am not an expert in tax matters, but when a pretty young thing calls you and shares her woes, you can’t really ignore her. Can you? What will happen to chivalry then!!

But this time around, one PYT dialed my number, just called my name and said, ‘my mom wants to talk to you’. Now, PYT’s are one thing and their mothers are another thing. I don’t even talk properly with the mother of the PYT I live with (not exactly young, but ‘pretty old thing’ doesn’t sound complimentary and also the abbreviation comes as POT, and that will be a taxing problem for me at home, despite me genuinely meaning the first letter)

I started wondering who this mother could be?? And tax my brain to figure out what I did so bad to get a mother speaking with me and to whom. Anyway mercifully she started saying ‘I saw her LIC papers’ and then my heart went back from my mouth to where it belonged.

But I thought, if so many girls are going to be calling you, you might as well be a tax guy. So, either I am going to change my name now, or become an expert in tax issues and offer some consultations and get to know them better.

And start liking taxes!!!!

1 comment:

sidwho? said...

How do you know that these girls damsels in distress are actually Pretty Young Things ?? I can find 3 possibilities-
1.You personally know them ( and hope Mrs TS doesnt read this)
2.You have a video phone
3. Or , in such taxing times , you have attuned your mind to believe what you want to ....
Iirespective of the above , I hope you are helping them with your wise counsel , like the Knight in his shining armor!!