Thursday, March 29, 2007

Me Turns Forty

This is one year too late to write. Well I was not blogging then firstly. And I was too busy being young to notice that I had turned forty. And this rhymes with ‘Dave Barry turns 40’ which is one of my favorite books.

But today it was inspired by the blog of my best friend, kindling thoughts on the subject, which otherwise was not very special barring the fact, everyone talks forty and it is an artificial milestone. Surely not in a man’s life though, haven’t heard of andropause at 40, and certainly not from a lineage in which I was made (when my dad was 47)

But yes, it is an artificial milestone. In Tamil they have a saying ‘ Nappathula Nai Gunam’, which translates as ‘At forty you turn a dog’. This surely didn’t apply to me, because I didn’t wait to be 40 to hit at that behavior. Any other veiled reference, if there was one, well maybe its true :P

I was impressed no end about the piece by Kushwant on his turning a nonagenarian. He talks about grandioseness of waking up with an erection, which is nothing but a prostrate problem. And how one fall in the tennis court could as well mean the end of him forever.

But forty is just opposite. You may still wake up the same way, but don’t blame it on prostrate. If you ask me, forty is the age to be in. Because, that’s when you really become a man! You have all the desirable things in life at your hand then. Money, Power, Increased charm, Good family, huge confidence and respect in the society and the circle of friends.

Only thing is that a bone creaks here, you continue to do believe that you can do a 5 min mile and you fall flat, you sometimes get tired and want to sleep, the youngsters continue to drink well after you thought that the party is over and so on. You suddenly are not even counted at the movie is planned in the office, or you are given a mandatory health checkup by office.

But then, when you just sit back and look at people you have around you, friends and family you also realize that, there can’t be a bigger party than just being with them.

Even for me, it is kind of irritating to keep telling that, I had that nick, this trouble , insomnia blah blah blah.

Whenever I even have a fleeting thought of being forty which if construed as old, all I have to do is pick an English novel.The Hero is invariably a smart, tough , good looking 40 plus guy who beats the world nonchalantly with a 20ish girl in his hand. Now that’s being forty !!!!

No comments: