Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Endless Affair....

Maybe if people are looking for synonyms for this word ‘Bibliomaniac’, they can put my name against it. Been completely addicted to books and the legs stop by itself if I pass through a bookshop, be it a roadside one or the airport one. My affair with books is an endless one.

Just that I can’t stop reading one, I can’t stop buying many too. Till I read Robin Sharma, the guilt of having so many books in the shelf that are unread was weighing heavily in my mind, but now I am OK. I have also started reading faster that I cram up more books per month than what I used to.

I have built more shelves in the recent past than anything else. And I was so obsessed about running out of books in a trip that I carry more books than what I can read in a month for a 2-day trip. Now I am better. Don’t stock that much in a tour. Just keep telling myself that if I run out of books, I can always buy one in that town and that prospect is even more enthralling.

So, last Sunday was no exception. Bought books as if the world is coming to an end that day or reading is going out of fashion the next day. But only on coming back I realized that I not only read books, but I read a huge variety of them. The topics range a fair span. Just to list what I bought on Sunday

  • The Last Mughal (could be termed as History)
  • Why men don’t listen and women can’t read maps (maybe sociology??)
  • Thuppariyum Sambu (a collection of Humorous Sherlock type stories written in Tamil 50 years back)
  • Restaurant at the End of the universe (sci-fi)
  • Why men stray & men stay? (Once again sociological, psychological)
  • Humour me (a book of Humour by an Aerobics practitioner)
  • Bloods (a book on how African Americans were forced to fight the Vietnam war and how racially prejudiced the losses were)
  • Reflections on a Gift of Watermelon pickle (collection of modern verses)



And, I just bought ‘In spite of Gods’ by Edward Luce a few days back, which is about Modern India. Earlier there used to be a thrill to have these kind of books in the shelf. More to show off about what all I read and have! But it helped in a way; I started reading many of them. And anyway I wasn’t letting people even see my books, as I was obsessed about not losing them. Now I am beyond all that, by this time people around me know of my addiction and hence no real need to show off.

But the point is, there are so many books that makes very interesting reading! The Net now has almost everything and it is my best companion at anytime and it helps me read better. (Otherwise how will you even know what is Anhedonia in the middle of the night). But they can never substitute books. There is a charm about printed books. And in the net, barring blogs, it is all information and nothing is opinion or an author’s thought, which is what books are.

And there is no feeling like getting a great bargain on a book of your favourite author or subject which no one in the world care to read.

3 comments:

sidwho? said...

Next time in Kolkata , Maybe u should drop into college st book stores... you will find plenty of temptations , many exotic and maybe unheard of by lesser readers (Experience will be akin to Casanova finding himself in the middle of a ladies' hostel ). Not just the titles , even the aroma of the old , musty books is overwhelming!!And best part is that unlike a Crosswords, you can haggle like a obese , middle-class , middle aged , mean Bong Lady ( and get you way to)...

Shrikanth said...

Been there, alas on a sunday. Cld not get the best out of the street, nonetheless managed to get a kill. Bought Walden for pittance there. :))

krithi said...

How true. I yearn for those bygone days when I used to read cover-to cover all night and sleep content at 4 a.m knowing well there is one more book waiting for me the next day. But what agony, if you dont have one for the next day..then you dont wana finsh the book overnight after all! My dad and I share the most wonderful moments when we pick up a whole lot of books from the library. We actually say "SLURP SLURP" together as if we have the most delicious amrit in front of us. Then fight about who should read the best one of the lot first. What fun!