Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sound of Silence

There is this ethereal beauty about Silence. I happened to see a good movie with a deaf-mute in the lead and a musician falling in love with her. I can keep raving about the movie on and on, that’s not the idea here.

I started wondering about ‘expressions’ after that. Whenever we say ‘expressions’, we don’t attach any deeper meaning to it and is generally thought and said as what words can do. Written, Spoken or sung. They just form a minor part of our expressions to think of. Many of our words get more meaning only when they are accompanied with gestures.

Or many words that are unsaid but you wanted to say gets told, by being something or by doing something. It could even be with people who you interact often or had been interacting.

In a cacophonous world, silence becomes the best music.

I have tried to translate a song that comes in the move that talks about the expressions. This is how it goes

Is it Sound or Music, that is
The expression of wind
Is it fragrance or color, that is
The expression of flower

Is it Waves or Froth, that is
The expression of Ocean
Is it lips or eyes, that is
The expression of love

If the expression of nature is understood,
There is no place for words
If the expression of heart is understood,
There is no need for words

When the wind blows,
There is no direction
When love speaks,
There are no words

Like spoken words,
Silence is not understood
The words of eyes though
Is not understood even by God

Can’t give a shape
To the flowing breeze
Can’t give a form
For the words of heart

If the expression of nature is understood,
There is no place for words
If the expression of heart is understood,
There is no need for words

Words of sky
Comes as drizzle
Words of a rainbow
Comes as color

When the heart is mute
Tears becomes the words
When the day becomes dark
Stars becomes the words
In a heart with desire
Even a wink becomes words.

If the expression of nature is understood,
There is no place for words
If the expression of heart is understood,
There is no need for words


Sometimes, I feel it is better not to say anything at all and show all the love only by actions whenever you get a chance. And I am convinced am right.

6 comments:

sidwho? said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sidwho? said...

Wonderful!!Brings back to muy mind 2 excellent poetic accomplishment-
one is ofcourse - Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel..
Other is in immortal words of Nida fazli-
" Muh ki baat suney har koi,
Dil ke dard ko jaaney kaun?
Aawzon ke baazaron me ,
Khamoshi Pehchaney kaun?"
In my own (bad)literal translation-
" All can listen to what the tongue speaks , but who will know all the aches buried in the heart??
In a cacophanous world paddling sounds ,
who can know what silence is?"
My first attempt in translating a shair.. not very good , but I know you are not fluent in Hindi and the beauty of these words is too good for you to miss!!hence , the modest attempt:-)

Shrikanth said...

Beautiful. It is so nice these poetries. in fact I curse myself for losing out so much because of lack of hindi knowledge.

I will tell you , translation seemes to be a much difficult art than writing itself, particularly when it comes to poetry.

I do the simplest thing, I dont try a translation,I plagiarise and rewrite them, taking liberties with the form but trying to retain most of the words used.

Shrikanth said...

Have you watched the movie 'Graduate' , where 'Sound of Silence' comes as a song. Not only that, but a few more like Scarborough Fair & Mrs Robinson too. In fact these songs were written for the movie - OST.

Dustin Hoffman is brilliant in that movie. But the movie is so so.

sidwho? said...

yes .. I have watched Graduate , and Hoffman was as brilliant as ever. Infact I am probably the only person in my friends' circle who liked him is Tootsie aswell:-))

I am a big fan of Simon and Garfunkel- and my fav songs by them are-"Homeward Bound " "Sound of Silence " ," If I could "and "Bridge Over troubled Waters" - among others. This is a rare exception in my otherwise "loud" taste in music.
I think they are not just good musicians but poets as well- esp most of the good ones are penned by Paul Simon himself

Shrikanth said...

You should try to read ' Bubble in the Boy' , it is Paul Simon's autobiography. Good read.

Tootsie is awesome , both movie and Hoffman. :)