Tuesday, February 13, 2007

February 14th

February 14th is a big day for me. Not because it’s Valentine’s Day (not withstanding the fact that I am a die-hard romantic). It’s big because, I know at least 5 persons who celebrate a birthday on that day. And by sheer coincidence, they are all very special people to me.

It is a big day at home firstly, because my wife and 2nd daughter are amongst that 5 people I talked about. Maybe, it all started with my wife, a Feb 14th girl getting into my life. Come to think of it, she has shared almost all my adult life. I knew her when I was all of 19 years and I can confidently say that, I should have been an adult only about 2 years by then. So, when I am 41, it appears to me that she has been around all my life practically. We kinda grew up together. All our tastes, knowledge, foolishness, interests, desires, anger, disappointments, recoveries,have been always the same. We most of the times have a World War repeat at home, only to call each other in the next minute to say sorry and laugh at our own craziness. There could be a lot of people in your life, many of them could have wished you well, but sometimes go very angry with you that they just don’t care what happens to you and just ignore you out of sheer compulsion or what it warrants then. There are only a few who would always mean well and think only about your good.In mine I can only tell there are two. One is she and another is a friend of mine named Raja, true to his name, with a King’s heart.

Next in the list of the B’ Day babies is my daughter. In fact she is my life’s meaning in a way. She made me a theist, she made me kinder, she makes me proud every moment, she is what all I am today in a way, because she gave me the biggest scope in life. To show love, and understand that it is never about what you do but what you get. I have never been hesitant to talk about her being an adopted kid. Not because I wanted people to know what we have done, but more because it gives me the greatest opportunity in life to propagate the message of love. About the fact that love is a great multiplier and when you just think you gave, you always receive in exponential proportions. I probably would never stop talking about her ever, and since they say your life story is always the last you write, I should stop now. As these two girls with my first one, make what my life is and what it is about.

The third in the list is a dearest friend of mine who could have well been my daughter in another life. She is younger to me by 14 years and I could never see her though at any time. Either she was 12 years like my elder one, or an equal with whom I can share my deepest thoughts. Would have never shown more anger and love at someone apart from my wife!! She was always a solace, either as a punching bag or as this statesman belying her age. She would stay as a source of strength always in my life irrespective of how often or how rarely we communicate to each other. And the fact that she remains a daughter in this life too..

Fourth is an amazing lady. The sweetest I have ever seen with a definite poise about her. She was a wife of my friend(was because he is no more). I have never seen a loveliest pair and sweeter sound than his ‘hah kutta, hah honey’ when he picks her call. They weren’t destined to be together for long. And the way she handled him while he was there and handles herself while he isn’t there is a lesson in life for anyone. It was her dad who saidthat, 'this is the time you want to curse God for being so cruel but this is the test He keeps for you to know how strong you are'. I have never forgiven God for this cruelty whatever test He may have designed. It was just not on. But she, a marvel of a person and someone who can keep coming back in your mind to remind that all is not yet lost, when it seems to be so.

The last is my cousin, a brave girl on her own right. At 27, with pretty old parents, first staying 3000 miles away from home to work on empowering rural women and now at the States doing her doctorate, with a single minded devotion about what she does.

If I need to draw a parallel to all these girls, I see a common denominator it is their self-confidence. Why else, they are going to have me as husband, dad, brother and friend!!!! :))

1 comment:

Seema said...

Lovely writing as usual... and Thank you :)