Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Babel

The attempt to build the Tower of Babel is said to have angered God and cursed that people will talk different languages. I am not getting into how that can be micro-analyzed, whether it meant lack of understanding about what we talk to each other or plainly languages.

I am talking about the latest movie ‘Babel’, which has some parallels; don’t know whether the director’s primary intention was that.

Firstly, it will anger the viewers, for most of the times it is some meaningless rambling going on in the movie. Seemingly connected to each other, the 4 different storylines have very little in common. There is a very thin connection of a rifle of a Japanese guy, used by a Moroccan kid in a desert, which accidentally injures an American tourist and a side story of the kids of that tourist going to Mexico. That’s all the connection is. Nothing more.

I don’t know what’s the real idea of the director. Will 4 different story lines with such a thin connection make a full-fledged movie? I am surely tempted to think about the movies ‘Amores Perros’ ‘Yuva’ and also the likes of ‘Rashomon’. The first two had a clear link between the main protagonists. An accident that involves multiple people and how their lives get intertwined after that! And in Rashomon, the same incident is seen through 4 different pair of eyes. Now that’s a movie.

And on top of it, nice acting talents wasted completely. Gael Garcia Bernal according to me is a great talent. His performance as a mean dog owner in ‘Amores Perros’, sex crazed adolescent in ‘Yu Tu Mama Tambien’, as a newly ordained priest in ‘Crimen del padre Amaro, El’ are all outstanding. Such a guy being wasted in a stupid role irritates me. Atleast Brad Pitt had something to do in the movie thankfully.

And I don’t understand why if a helicopter if shown as flying should be shown till it lands, taking a whole minute or two. These parallel cinemas have this affliction. In some Mallu movies, if a fellow starts eating, they will show him complete the meal fully, or if potatoes are peeled, the entire container gets peeled and you see it patiently.

If this is realism, then I have an issue. I might as well walk into a kitchen and watch potato peeling. Maybe, I am a frontbencher who looks for plain good entertainment for 2 plus hours, without taxing my brain to find a story and invent meanings and have my personal interpretations blah blah. Just see a movie and mull over how it was a few times and get it done with. If it’s too good, keep seeing it again and again.

One good thing the movie did to me was that it gave me confidence. Maybe one day, I will make a movie, a good one at that. Or worse come worse a completely cranky movie like this and still get a release and for all you know, might pick up an award or two also

No comments: