Tuesday, February 20, 2007

No time,so pls read now!!

Lot many people complain to me that they don’t have time to do most of the things they would like to do. The chief culprit always seems to be work. ‘Where do I have time to do it’ is a constant refrain from all of them. Somehow I am unable to take that in face value.

Well, I am not a time management expert or anything. The only thing that qualifies me to talk about time & the availability of it is the fact that I waste a great deal of it. So, I know.

I don’t understand the hype about such a simple and standard stuff. Statements like ‘If you don’t have time, you should manufacture it’ only adds more mysticism to it. And any conscious attempt to get ‘management of time’ better, only increases the load and thus the guilt of incapability.

I told that I waste a great deal of time. At the risk of sounding conceited, I want to run a quick list of what all I do (not necessarily in a particular day, not all days are always same).

· In the past 4 years, I would have averaged at least 150 movies every year.
· I finish at least 5 books a month on an average.
· I take Holidays twice a year. Fairly long ones.
· I have recently been writing plenty (if you can call blogging as writing :P)
· I spend a fair amount of quality time with my kids.
· Never failed to lose an opportunity to party and I can think of getting together for long sessions with guys at least twice a month.
· Travel heavily on work.
· Recently experimenting with cooking.
· My phone doesn’t seem to stop and I know by the call timers that I spend an average of 1 Hr & 15 minutes each day on phone.
· On weekends, my wife and me hit the discs.
· Sleep happily in the afternoons if it is a holiday, for a minimum of 3 hours.
· Park in front of TV if its cricket time.
· Few more activities that cant be recorded : ))
· And I also have a job that pays me enough to suck the blood out me, one pint for each paisa paid.

There is also many more that I do. Well, on top of this, I still feel that I waste a lot of time because most of the time, I laze around. This is not any attempt to say how much I do and still have time. It is just that, I happen to do all this and also be fairly relaxed without rushing to meet deadlines.

I may have a lot of help to get these luxuries happening to me. I was seriously thinking about why then people complain and how do I manage to get so much time for myself.

I never set timetables or organize myself, though am a creature of habit and ordinary chores takes a pre-defined time and gets done by itself.

Mostly it is because I guess I don’t pause to think before doing anything. If I want to read and a book is in front of me, I just pick it up and start reading. If I am sitting in the front of the TV and want to see a movie, I just switch it on. Many such stuff, if I want to do, I just do.

And also, many of these things happen simultaneously. For example, I said I travel a lot, but this piece is being done in an Airport Lounge. It would have otherwise been spent reading. And the travel is because of work.

Guess that’s the key. Somehow, keep doing whatever you want to do, whenever you feel like, if you really want to do. It is possible if as I said you really want to do it.

Bye for now, I need to get myself a haircut. No time to do it for a month now!! : ))

No comments: