Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Do you wanna fight???

Do you really want to marry the one whom you love?? Then listen to me. I had been putting all my thoughts and experience into this, so bloody well listen to me.

The people I hated the most are the ones who came and advised me to take it easy when I wanted to marry my wife. And these were guys who in their time fought a pitched battle to marry the one whom they wanted. My anger was all about that, they either don’t approve of me or her, and not the marriage per se. And in my eyes, they all had successful marriages and was flustered no end about their double standards.

And I later played the same role to 2 of my nephews, despite the same pitched battle and successful marriage with my wife. Now, let me clarify. I am not against love; I think that’s the best that can happen to human beings. And marriage also is something that can happen to human beings, albeit to the bit less fortunate.

My contention is that, is it worth a fight?? Are you going to proud about that fight the rest of your life?? Is it worth 4 years of hibernation from your parents? I had always fancied that marriage is a gamble and love marriage is something you gamble seeing the opponent’s cards to an extent and hence the gamble that less risky.

For the ones who still don’t follow me, here is a checklist. Get a scorecard on this list and then bingo; you are ready to take a call

* Have you ever imagined how the other one will look & breathe after waking up?
* Do you want your bathroom floor dry?
* Do you want your newspaper to be folded properly?
* Are you the one who expects things when taken should be replaced?
* Do you think you own the blanket and your space in the bed?
* Do you think that either an ‘One dayer’ or a B Day is important to sacrifice for each other?
* Are you aware that the animal kingdom is not monogamous?
* After a few years, it will still be you cooking and not him?
* It is always your career to sacrifice and not his?
* Your mother in law will own your house telephone time?
* Do you think Jeans will be washed?
* Are you aware the Sunday’s are ‘no bathing’ days?
* Your children can possibly be like your spouse?

Well, these are just a few. The list can go on and on. If you have some clear answers for these questions, let me anticipate the decision. ‘Welcome to bachelorhood/spinsterhood’

If all these don’t discourage you, one parting shot. Just look at your in-laws. Your wife or husband is most likely to become one of them in the next 10 years.

You still want to fight?????

No comments: