Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Worry



This is actually an everyday dialogue at home. I am worried about you!! Could be about anything. Maybe I have a sudden boil erupting in the size only the best of microscopes can identify. Or maybe I woke up once in the middle of the night to pee. Or when I turn to see, I don’t turn the normal way I do.

OK this is real concern. One needs to worry. But what bugs me most is the question ‘why?’ by her. Why is this boil coming? Arre, how will I know, maybe we should ask the boil itself. Maybe I am good host. Maybe I am just the place where the boil wanted to settle in its last days. Maybe the previous boils told the new one that this is a nice retirement haunt. Or maybe it just came, like the million other boils in the world come.

Otherwise it will be, ‘why you are not sleeping properly?’ How will I know again? If I knew, would I not sleep? Could it be because you are tensed? Maybe! Is it because you slept well in the afternoon? Then, why on earth it’s a worry? I had slept well 6 hours back and am now struggling to catch sleep. Why can’t that good thing supercede this bad thing? Sometimes she will wake me up in the middle of the night and ask me why am I sleeping so restlessly. I might have peacefullly slept albiet restlessly if not for this waking up.

Then, it will be ‘Why are you looking like a crow?’ Maybe I always looked like a crow, being stealthy I am. Maybe I sat too much in the terrace and watched crows endlessly that I picked the mannerism. But the deduction would be a sprain in my back that is causing this crow look. Well I should be happy, isn’t it? Afterall a reason was found. But it is not to be. Because the invented reason has more questions as corollaries! How did the sprain come? Is it because of the spondylitis? But you are not riding a bike anyway? Has the car seat become shorter? Is the new Dell computer causing this strain in your back that causes the sprain?

I know one thing for sure. If my wife is going to be asking these questions continuously, the medical profession will go out of work. Either because of the sheer volume of answers they need to provide or because the patient anyway knows what is happening to him/her that the doctors are needed anymore. Like the doctor whom we know regales about his adventures with the patients, who instructs him to give them glucose! He is aghast at their audacity and his prescription being decided by everyone but him.

Honestly, I think it is my forehead that is getting fat. If not by brain atleast by sinus! And that’s the cause of all worries. With 17 years of husband experience I should be finding such answers so easily.

Hey, this is all a joke OK? But if I am admitted in some casualty tomorrow, you all need not ask the question why. It is just simply so very transparent. I would have been beaten to pulp and the doctors would be rearranging me into shape.

No comments: