Monday, June 11, 2007

Wedding Anniversary

Couple of days from now, I will be celebrating my 18th wedding day. Wait a minute, read it carefully. It is not exactly 18th wedding. It is the 18th year. Should have written 17th anniversary. Guess I was overwhelmed and awestruck with the sheer number of years I am married. That’s why this faux paus.

As I keep telling, on hindsight I thank my job as a sales guy. Kept me touring for half this period. That’s 8 years of these 17 years. And the other half was spent at office with a 9 to 9 job. ( well, I am talking about those days ) That’s another 4.5 years gone. The other half was spent sleeping, which accounted for around 2 years and add to it another .5 years on the phone while being at home. In the balance 2 years, if the kids didn’t eat our head, we would in reality have spent approximately 1.5 years with each other.

In those 1.5 years, half the time she didn’t understand what I spoke and I didn’t understand what she spoke. So effectively we communicated only for about a year. This is just the first wedding anniversary then. No wonder we celebrate it.

First, I intend to award a plaque to her, something like Bharat Ratna or something, for patiently hearing me out all this while. Half the guys who worked with me still hold me in high esteem because they quit the job, unable to withstand me, and then their career flourished. So, I have decided to honor her perseverance. She could not or did not quit her job ( it’s a different thing altogether why she didn’t actively consider that, you always can't count yourself lucky ). Second, just not to sound biased, I would gift myself the same award. Afterall, it takes two to tango.

I keep wondering what magic was there for such a long-standing marriage. Our parents were the key. We strongly believed that if those guys didn’t kill each other, we would also not end up as murderers. And disagreement was taken as norm. When expectations are so low, you always meet them.

Funnily, we never understood what the other one said, so got to do whatever we wanted. I kept telling how organized one could be and she never understood, so stayed as it is. She kept telling me how sanity is a good virtue and I never understood that and I got to stay as it is.

Somehow we contrived to keep our children as human shields and those rabbits were entertaining either one of us in moody times and we suddenly realized that if we could create such wonderful creatures accidentally, real efforts could keep us afloat.

In this historical moment it is apt to thank all the people & things that made the marriage work, so let me thank my job, our parents, our children, our communication gap & our low expectations.

And the wonderful love that we share.

3 comments:

sidwho? said...

Congratulations!!!!!
may your communication gap keep bringing you closer ...:-)

supersubra said...

Hey I am one among them like a squirrel in Rama's Bridge in that Historical moment at Triplicane temple.

Shrikanth said...

Now, like Anniyan I was listing all those people, who helped me then. x-(

I dont know whether you are a squirrel, I am surely not Rama :P