Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sivaji

I am certain that this is the best way to increase readership for my blogs. There was this guy who posted a review at 12 noon on the release date in his blog and he had 1427 hits in a couple of hours. And another guy was a honest soul and gave a comment on the review about the movie and the moderators had to come into play. All the choicest of Tamil vocabulary were in display and I got them refreshed. Such is the hype for the movie.

I am right. It’s all hype. I am sure that I should now prepare for all those bad words to be directed at me. And I better play moderator myself, but anyway I will get to know who calls me what, just not me , but my lineage from great grandfather about which even I would not know.

So, as a disclaimer I should say this. I am a die-hard Rajni fanatic. So much so, that for almost a fortnight whatever Sivaji related materials that were in the Net found their way to my comp. And was sulking for 3 days about not having seen the movie on the release day. Only the event like Chairman’s visit from US resulted in that miracle. I was seriously considering enrolling into a ‘whistling course’ to do justice to Thalaivar. But, I came out disappointed after the movie, that I can see the movie only 3 to 4 times. It’s that bad. :(

Nothing much new I can write about the movie. By this time there are terabytes of data in the Net. So, let me spare others and myself about the story, style, action, sets, direction and what not.

I simply feel that Rajni movie is a movie where Rajni occupies the screen fully and we all whistle, dance, get delirious, irrespective of what he says, does etc. This is a damn Shankar movie. Saving grace was that Rajni was atleast introduced in the trademark way to legs being focused first. As the dialogue goes in the movie ‘Comedy pannitanga Rajni’a vachu’!! The man is a superstar. And he just needs to be there undefeated and bashing up bad guys. For years he had been doing it. Without computers, without help of goons! He simply single-handedly was doing good to the society. So what is new?

This Shankar is one amazing guy. He has just one story in his mind. And rehashes, rehashes, rehashes, gets the best stars doing that, make some great dance, song and fight sequences and churns out movie after movie. Gentleman, Indian, Mudhalvan, Anniyan and now this! All one-man crusade plots. For the rest of the guys it’s ok, because they aspire to be Rajni, but why the same story for Rajni. His limitation for fantasizing has been exposed. Why not some story like Rajni bashing up George Bush? Or some problem in Moon which no one but Rajni can solve & save the earth from certain destruction?

Coming back from the movie I was plain angry. There is everyone in the movie and my superstar is just there for the last 15 minutes. Maybe because of all the hype! And I was ostracized from the community for not having seen the movie for 3 days. SMS after SMS on how the movie is, was pouring in. Most stylish thalaivar movie ever made, awesome, breathtaking blah blah. For a guy like me, who went from Madurai to Dindigul to see a 38-minute cameo of Rajni in a movie, that old charm was missing.

My mistake, I should have seen the movie on the first day itself. Afterall budget meetings happen every quarter :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are bang on!

I am yet another Rajani fanatic who wish to see rajni always conquering everything around him. The only saving grace for me was that I could see the film on day 2(morning show) with lot of noice and whistles which could maintain my enthu levels inspite of the film being not up to mark. The whole first half was simply sluggish with only the SHADOW of superstar present here and there.

I had intentionally not discussed much in my sms to you as I thought it was only myself who felt the movie was not up the expectations of hardcore rajni fans and it would be unfair from my part to start ridiculing the movie, which could otherwise harm me physically too !!! Hence thought of initiating a discussion post yourself able to watch the movie (amidst Budget planning !!)at a later stage.

May be that I would have come up with a much harsher review had I watched the movie after three days as you did -:).The movie infact thrives on the technical perfection. I also thought they have tried presenting Rajni differently in songs- I could enjoy Oru koodai sunlight in that jam packed house full of noice and whistles.

Imagine, shankar wanted to waste the talent of someone like Mohanlal for the role of Suman. I thought the former's decision to quit the movie, after contemplation, was the right one.

Well....am not sure what would be the next movie for the superstar. At this juncture, what else can we do than expecting him to come back with a BANG as Baashah or Padaiyappa once again ?? Suresh Krishna....K S Ravikumar ....where are you guys??