Friday, June 29, 2007

Surprises, Surprises...

Receiving surprise gifts is always a thrill. But giving surprises seems to give an even bigger thrill to some. Some do it for good cause. Some do it inadvertently by sheer lack of sensitivity, like what comes in the Naukri advertisement, shrinking you in size at the time of annual appraisal.

This is not about the second type. I have no energy left for this type and have become adept in taking disappointments, so much so that the so-called surprises are not surprises any more. I just expect them to happen. And manage not to get shrunk.

Back to the first type, not many can qualify in that group. Unless it is someone who cares for you a lot and a great friend! These are the people who have elevated “giving surprises” to an art form, like Krithi who happens to be our great friend. On my daughter’s birthday, the surprises from Krithi started pouring in by around 7 pm on the previous day. The fun began with blindfolding my daughter to take her to best friend’s place by exactly 12 in the night and cutting the birthday cake. And it did not just stop there. There were atleast 8 gift packages given at periodic intervals till the next day evening, not letting my daughter to even comprehend the previous bundle of joy fully. Such was the pace. And she was absolutely delirious. The manner in which the gifts were given at the most unexpected of times and style floored her totally.

Then came our wedding anniversary. She acted as if she had run out of ideas and pretended she didn’t even have time to shop properly. But she did manage to squeeze some time somehow and we received beautiful gifts along with an ode written in toast of us. The next week on her anniversary, we tried to copy her style and did a bad job. All we could do was, space the gifts for half an hour and then plainly stared at her. I had convinced myself that I would not be attempting such daredevilry in future.And left it at that.

And then this event happened. I was suddenly pulled out a meeting one day, with a gun almost in my head saying I need to drive her to some place. I bought her pretext and went along. We stopped at an office and I was wondering what’s happening.

And then came the biggest surprise of my lifetime. She managed to take an appointment with my favorite writer and has arranged a tête-à-tête with him for me. I could not simply believe my luck. Initially I was simply awestruck and pinching myself to ensure that it wasn’t a dream. Then when I knew it was for real, I started rapping. And he did give an unbelievable 45 minutes for us. What I spoke & what I heard is still being recollected, as I am yet to come out of that daze. So that’s for another blog.

But the daze is more because of the efforts of Krithi, her style and the joy she gets in seeing us thrilled. ( the toast that she wrote for us, deserves a separate post ). But, here is our family’s toast to you Krithi….

“May Life be brimming up with pleasant surprises for you always”

1 comment:

krithi said...

Wow! I got a whole post on me! Touched and ecstatic. But you know what? Friends like you bring the best out of me! Usually most people form their best friendships from school or college. But I am lucky to have found great friends in you guys. Thanks a ton.And long live our friendship! Cheers!