Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The 'P' factor

People do get pretty possessive most times. Atleast I do. It has always been a weakness with me and though I had wanted to get rid of that, I have never been able to.

I don’t know where it comes from! But even as children, we tend to own stuff and we don’t want others to take it away. While at one end, we have this huge pride in making others know ‘Look what I’ve got’, we also want to keep that for ourselves. My younger daughter practically lives with the gifts that she gets till she is bored of it. And even the same person who gifted it to her won’t be shared. I have faced it plenty of times.

Many a time, now I know I could have acted differently in certain situations. But never had that maturity and generosity. And that has always led to unpleasantness. It was always similar to the behavior of my daughter. And things haven’t changed much over generations either. If at all, the P factor has only grown. I can see my elder one’s friends getting possessive about her.

In this context, I am more than amazed when I read or hear the famous song ‘ Chinnanchiru Kiliye’ by the Mahakavi. He was a genius who created magic in words. He was capable of seeing God in many forms. As a child, as a lover!!! And in this particular song, where he visualizes Him as a lover, he has this to say. “Mechhi unai ooraar pugazhthal meni silirkudhadi”. It means, “When others praise you, I get elated”.

Though it is a fantasy, I can’t help but marvel at this generosity. You want the good things for you, but mostly only for you. And you are only elated more when you are other’s envy.

Maybe it was an evolved state of ‘Look what I’ve got’. Or a state of real love! Should be the second.

You just set it free; whatever you love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This thought is very good ,You just set it free; whatever you love.

Boss the thing i love most i will every let it go. I will do what every it takes to have in with me

This is just my view

Mr X