Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Holiday...For Good Food

One of the difficulties I find on touring or a holiday is about food, being a vegetarian Tambram. This time was no different. Actually when we returned home, we are so famished that we were ready to eat anything South Indian that was thrown at us.

I have always pondered about the stuff I would like to eat. Irrespective of what they are, one simple thing holds good. The whole meal gets better if you find even a small quantity of what you like. Sometimes it even helps you eat what you don’t like.

I am not a very discerning eater, leave alone being a gourmet. My choices are simple and I never get too adventurous about trying out new dishes too. And I envy people who do that. Somewhere there is one register in the brain that keeps a place for likes and dislikes in taste and in mine I guess the storage space is too very small. Maybe music hogged majority of the space. So I simply keep eating stuff that I like and I am now so very addicted to them that the absence of those stuff gets into my nerves.

That makes me think of the other discerning ones or the gourmets. I have always believed that taste is acquired at an early age and never improves after that when it comes to food. And food in a Brahmin family is just not about what is given to you, but also what you are not supposed to eat. Non-Vegetarian food can get you ostracized. So, the rebel in me tried all those. And also it gave you a status of a ‘cool’ guy (Yeah, I eat non-veg !! ). But honestly I have never enjoyed eating them. And I am at loss to understand what could be the taste of flesh?? While vegetables had its own taste and can hold on its own with minimal cooking, the flesh should be garnished with the various spices that really provides the taste. OK, I am honestly a misfit to comment on this, because I could be prejudiced and the fact that I take on flesh-eaters gives me some shivers. You can consider me a vegetable and excuse me. But I stick on to the point though. Simply because I am certain that, the Indian non-vegetarians surely can’t see or eat what is cooked in the street food stalls of Bangkok. It has the whole insect & animal kingdom being fried. Maybe you can bring your own insect also!!!

Is there really a new taste? At the end, it may all be what is added to the main part of the food than the main part itself. Whilst cooking I become my own boss, foresee or foretaste what I would want in the food and add all those ingredients. And mostly it comes out good. Atleast people say so!

And invariably it stays with the taste that is in brain that got registered when I was young. So I want to find out from the Brahmins on how they hog non-vegetarian food. Were they fed non-veg when they were young? If not, how come they found something, which is tastier than Dhal or brinjal? You could have found a real honest & altruistic person, a well-meaning gentleman, a Yeti, and all mythological creations also in this earth then. According to me, all these are simply impossible.

The only food I like the most apart from the regular diet is the Street Food. I find them amazingly likeable tickling all the taste buds in my tongue. But then, that’s really not strange. With all my cricketing days in a Madurai, I was brought up in a steady diet of dust.

No comments: