Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Handyman

I am a handyman. But the first fear with folks at home when things conk off is about this ability of mine. Instead of being encouraging and appreciative, I am often laughed at. They feel that if the gadget failing is a misery; my trying to repair it is an addition to that misery.

Just think of it. There is something that works well and suddenly gets into a non-performance mode. What will you do as a guy who grew up a steady dose of logic? Isn’t so natural to figure out what is wrong with the damn thing? I hate losing to gadgets. How can they get the better of us when on first place we make them? Treating them like Frankenstein is just not my thing. For that matter to any self-respecting individual!

So, I pick up my tool kit at the drop of the hat every time we have such calamity at home. Sure I apply logic and arrive at the culprit part. But before that, it is a question of having the right tools. You are not a qualified mechanic and not being one means that you don’t have the proper paraphernalia. But then if that is going to be a deterrent, how on earth you will progress in life as a handyman. So, I generally employ a single screwdriver to unlock any type of screw, be it star, hexagonal, straight. Believe me, it works. It is just a matter of attitude and a bit of a pressure. Anything gives in. Only problem is that you can't lock them again. The threads can’t take so much pressure. Didn’t I tell you that the gadgets are lesser than you?

Once I get into the heart of the gadget, sometimes when the diagnosis is not very clear, I apply some trial & error. It does not cause more harm. The damn thing doesn’t work anyway on the first place. Somehow I identify the problem, but once again your unqualified nature conspires and you don’t have the corrective tools. No soldering iron, no lead and despite having known the issue, you end up not fixing it. That’s the biggest pain in the world.

But, sometimes the issue won’t be that big and I resolve it easily. The gadget starts behaving and I put it back together. And then find a couple of parts being redundant. The stuff works without them. The reason is the cost of real estate. These days it is so high that the manufacturers don’t want to store unnecessary stuff occupying space in their facilities. So, they dump it in your gadget. And it also gives a heavy big feeling when you cough up thousands of rupees.

In all, I am just thrilled about being so proficient, but folks have a completely different opinion about me. Plain jealousy I think! But it is true that anyway the gadget goes for service to the shop again or I end up buying a new one. Hey, it is my money OK ?!!

1 comment:

sidwho? said...

Have you noticed..
a) the more instruction you have in a gadget manual , the harder it is to operate?
b)whenever you actually decide to use an instruction manual , its in Chinese?
c) The more convinced you are of your handyman abilities , the more you pay to proffessionals like electrician, mechanic , plumber etc?
d)The more handyman jobs you do, lesser complaints come from wife in future on repair works required at home?