Thursday, November 01, 2007

Shame on you Houdini

If Harry Houdini was alive today, he should be living in penury. I am certain about it. How can he make money by acts of disappearing & extrication now? No, nothing has changed as far as the bewilderment that is associated with such acts even today. The reason is pretty simple.

Our household would be more popular than him and he would have lost his market to us. Because, we are even superior to him!! We simply make inanimate things disappear, which he cannot do. And we are also masters in extrication. Let me elaborate.

In a normal household, what do you think can be lost? A few handy things that you keep can be misplaced? Yes, you are right. Only such stuff gets lost in the maze of a household. Then would you not call bigger things disappearing as a Houdini Act then? That’s what we are masters at.

Since yesterday morning I am looking for the remotes of my TV & Set top Box. There is not a trace of them anywhere. All possible and impossible places have been searched and they are still absconding. I was tempted to release an advertisement in the newspaper this morning to get them back. Then I consoled myself that if both of them are missing together, it should be a case of consensual eloping. After all they lived together always and can’t function without each other. So they might have decided to run off somewhere just to escape my younger daughter.

OK, if that was a mystery, what do you call the disappearance of shirts, handkerchiefs, one sock of a pair, all the combs, sewing needle, Vicks Vaporub, weekly magazines, footwear’s, watches and everything that you need urgently!!

And we guys don’t help the cause either. If I could be the culprit of misplacing the TV remote somewhere, my wife is capable of misplacing the TV itself. And my daughters are out of the world. You cannot find one book of theirs when they have to study and if at all you do, you need to enlist the services of some detectives to ascertain the cause of death of those books.

And similarly when it is time for studying, my elder one can extricate herself beating Houdini, only to be toppled my by younger one at the time of hitting the bed or eating. They will simply evaporate. As if they are made of liquid nitrogen.

There should be something really mysterious with the house. I named it as the Spooky House this morning. Because there has never been an occasion when something has been found when it is required. Simply impossible! One day it happened that I found the comb which I was looking for and then it was my turn to disappear. To the ICU!! Where else you go if you have a heart attack.

I am now convinced that my folks are not to be blamed. Actually this place could be the perfect story material for Manoj Night Shyamalan. The events are definitely paranormal. No I am not being over dramatic here at all.

In fact I say this with a very heavy heart. The stuff which I humorously kept complaining about getting lost are inanimate things all said and done. You never really have an attachment built with them. You are not going to sit and cry if a comb is lost reminiscing about the great days you had with the comb ( you can read this as the great days when I had hair in my head also ). It is true with all the objects. All of them are replaceable. You can buy them again.

But this morning I found out that one of my fishes, a very beautiful one at that, is missing. This has got to be paranormal stuff! How else you will describe a fish missing from the aquarium? :(

3 comments:

sidwho? said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!

The Buddha said...

That's quite Fishy!!!!

supersubra said...

You attain enlightenment only by searching/seeking for unknown/unseen or the lost paradise. You are on the way to enlightenment.