Friday, October 26, 2007

A Funeral where you smell your own flowers

A friend called me a while back saying that he wanted to share a quip with me. I am still trying to fathom why he chose me to say that. Jokes apart he did it in right earnest because he knew I would love this.

The one-liner goes like this ‘Wedding is a funeral where you smell your own flowers’. Awesome quote! Now you know why I pulled his leg about the choice. I am increasingly getting annoyed at these wedding functions and lavish ones at that.

I try to figure out who exactly is celebrating? Is it the parents who put up the pomp? If so what are they trying to achieve? The fact that their wards are getting wedded?! The fact they have plenty of money? The display of joy and relief having reduced one member of the family! (I was only mentioning about the count, don’t read anything between the lines and take reduction as a word with face value and get into some philosophical analysis, though that is what I want you to do). Or is it to showcase whom they have found for their children!

Any which reason it is, it beats my imagination. If you have plenty of money, bloody well use it somewhere else where it is valued more. I have 5 elder sisters who got married and we should have spent a fortune on that ( ok, one was a smart person, didn’t allow us that option ). And for 10 full years lived in front of a wedding hall seeing marriages happening every third day! I now visualize that as lambs being taken to slaughter. Invariably there will be one nasty comment or other from the audience, a mean old aunt or the groom’s entourage in all marriages. Millions of bucks in food which is not appreciated and a bunch of beggars standing outside for the leftovers! Sickening feeling it was. And I am certain not a single soul including the relatives care a damn about how they live afterwards and whether they are compatible.

If it is a question of having fulfilled a responsibility of getting a child married off, how can that be true and if it is so, are you sure that you fulfilled it to the best of your ability. The mean family sniffing around like hyenas for largesse is where your daughter goes to. And does your responsibility end with that? Obviously not! You are always worried about how the folks live together but stay at a distance because you are not supposed to be interfering.

And the couple themselves! What a big waste it is! You don’t know how the well made up gent or lady next to you would turn up to. The very same quality that has endeared the other to you is the one you would get to hate the most. Oh she is so brilliant you would say when you want to get married, but can you stand living with a genius if she is screwed up in head? The attitude that looked so very hip & cool will become detached and self-centered. The sharp focus you loved will become single-mindedness. The happy-go-lucky nature will become irresponsible in a future date. The pride in which you showcased your partner saying ‘look what I have got’ will turn out to be exhibitionist tendencies of the other. The interest in which you shared about going out for dinners will become a allegation of laziness to cook. The neatness that you displayed will become an object of ridicule & irritation and you start assuming that you are suffering from an obsessive compulsive disorder.

Any damn thing you take, it becomes a question of taking a vicious about turn in the future. And to that you add yourselves responsibilities like mortgages, kids, routines and you complain about them. Actually I would say, we should not have any weddings at all and if we need to, it should be a hush-hush affair that no one in the world will know and one day you will wake up and wish that you aren’t wedded after all and that is true.

OK, this is my own blog and I cannot put a disclaimer saying ‘These are the views of the author and the publisher does not necessarily share them’. How I wish I could!!!

13 comments:

sidwho? said...

Probably the first time since I started following your posts, I find myself not quite in agreement with all that you say. But then , like the post was all about your perspective, the comment is mine :)
Maybe I am just one the blesssed who hasnt had to go thru the post-nuptial rude awakenings ( so far--amen!!)

Shrikanth said...

so am I sid .. this is more on the general stuff that one gets to see.

sidwho? said...

there was this college sweetheart of mine who used to say-- "you dont love someone because of... you love someone inspite of" . Never made much sense then( though i dutifully smiled) but it seems not so crazy now

one among you said...

bride grooms njoy the marriage event... not the marriage

The Buddha said...

I cannot agree more, Maams. I feel all the couples who decide to spend the rest of their lives together (!!) should live in for a couple of years (at least) before they get themselves locked to check whether the wise things you loved have remained or changed to vices.

The Buddha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Buddha said...

Seconding Sid & Maams, my comment too is a general perspective and not necessarily my own.... (ahem)!!

sidwho? said...

Gautam(Buddha) -- I agree. Arranged marriages are ok, but the traditional cattle-coupling method needs to have some influx of modernity. To give some space and time to the prospective couple and leaving the final decision to them sounds good. But for that our typical Indian patriarch needs to grow up... and that still seems to be a far cry esp in smaller towns that make up most of out population

sidwho? said...

Manoj..what gives you the idea-"bride grooms njoy the marriage event... not the marriage" ??
Speaking for myself , I enjoy being married , but didnt care much for the event marking my conversion to one. It was the most excruciating experience of my life. But thne a typical Bong wedding is an excuse for all and sundry to have fun while the groom suffered. You have inpired me to write on my own experience -- will do so soon.

sidwho? said...

P.S>>>> That might be one of the reasons we Bongs do not get divorced a lot :) The guys cant bear the thought of going thru the same charade all over again

Shrikanth said...

Looks like I have stirred a hornet's nest. Or everyone seems to be having something deep inside that needed a platform to speak out. :))

Good going.

supersubra said...

I agree with you in full perspective. Though I got married in 1985 my total married life starts from 1985 when I met my wife first. The only difference is before marriage I spent 8 hours a day with her (in office) and after marriage I spend hardly 1 hour a day in real sense as per your old blog. I have more points to add. Catch you later

supersubra said...

I made a mistake in earlier comment.
Read "starts from 1985" as "starts from 1980".