Saturday, August 11, 2007

Storm in a 'B' cup

This is the latest raging debate in the US of A. This was triggered by what Hilary Clinton wore in a TV debate and a fashion writer chose to participate in the proceedings. Obviously he had no opinions about the National Security Policy and he decided to talk about what he knows and the security of the men around him. He commented about the pink blazer and the black tops which showed a bit of a cleavage line.

And then the storm started. Everyone is now jumping talking about how a woman is judged based on what she wears and not by what she talks. OK, I am not a prude. I am definitely not one. Why else I would try to be non-conservative by wearing a ponytail and bright shirts to work, when the bosses swear by what they call as Power dressing that is plain shirts in blue or white with a staid tie. But even I have my opinions about what women should wear for work.

Not that I am a MCP and have different rules for different genders. Just that, I am passing an opinion because I know what others talk about it ( as topic no 2 in a pubbing session, used to be no 1 earlier, but more recently at my office Boss-Bashing has become the pressing priority, this has been given the second slot ). It is like this. If someone is going to kid herself that men would look and comment upon women, which is catalyzed by what they wear, then we are in Planet Mars. I am not passing a judgment here whether it is right or wrong, or I may even confess that it is not right. But the reality is that men do.

The primary vocation of men I suppose is watching women and try to get a sneak preview. If the attempt is aided, then it is welcome. Maybe, if something changes in the way we reproduce then this will also change. Maybe when cloning is the order of the day and men had to use theirs for pissing only, this will change. But men’s brain is designed to look for opportunities to procreate and now that has become the main recreation. ( I know this is a typical MCP judgmental statement ! ). The fact I am trying to drive home is that, it takes an evolutionary change and not plain education and etiquette.

Otherwise, why would people talk about Sania’s T Shirt and nose ring instead of her forehand and backhands? It is tough on the women, but then I think it is so for men also when they are going to be watched. No one would approve a shorts & a blazer, tie unless you come from Fiji islands ( there I think they would not mind if women don’t wear anything on top, leave alone the cleavage ).

All I would say is that, just be prepared to be noticed if you dare to dress differently and you know you stand in a crowd. There are many people who have asked me in recent days about my long hair. They would. If you are men, they will walk across and talk. If you are women they will walk away and talk, including their own ilk.

But it is a shame, real shame. Even if I bring the evolutionary practices to men’s defense, it should be remembered that men adorned themselves with all kinds of ugly things to scare the enemy and women just did the opposite. So, guess we need to give them a break.

But then it is kind of tough to ignore a B Cup. Ain’t it ?

5 comments:

sidwho? said...

WOW.... procreation,recreation,evolution and high fashion, all in one post!!!
What do we know of high fashion in these days when we are subject to intellectual castration?

Anonymous said...

Wow...I must recommend to people at work to read this!!!

Anonymous said...

It has been 14 day pls update ur Blog.
What will happen to ur fans of blog.

sidwho? said...

eagerly awaiting your next....

Anonymous said...

Hey thats a good take on your last assignment! If there is something called as a better/greener pasture may you get it.